On Wednesday, President Donald Trump authorized the declaration of a disaster for severe weather events across Kentucky from Feb. 6 through March 10 of this year, including the Johnson County flooding Feb. 23.
“Federal funding is available to Commonwealth and eligible local governments and certain private nonprofit organizations on a cost-sharing basis for emergency work and the repair or replacement of facilities damaged by the severe storms, straight-line winds, flooding, landslides, and mudslides,” a statement from the White House said in part. “Federal funding is also available on a cost-sharing basis for hazard mitigation measures for the entire Commonwealth.”
The declaration was requested by Gov. Matt Bevin and supported by Kentucky’s congressional delegation. Previously, the Small Business Administration had been authorized to begin taking applications for low interest loans for homeowners, renters, businesses, nonprofits and more.
“We are pleased a federal declaration was issued this week to provide public assistance related to the February flooding event in Johnson County,” said Judge-Executive Mark McKenzie. “This declaration will allow the county to request resources from FEMA that will assist with road repairs and other damages on public properties.”
FEMA administrator Pete Gaynor named Allan Jarvis the federal coordinating officer for this declaration.