Community health fair held
In recognition of World Diabetes Day, Nov. 14, a free health fair was held at Paul B. Hall Medical Center. Co-sponsored by the hospital, the Johnson County Health Department, and the Big Sandy Diabetes Coalition, the fair offered free diabetes, cholesterol and vision screenings, as well as flu shots, fitness consultations, KidSafe fingerprinting and door prizes.
SBA disaster assistance available
- Individuals and businesses affected by severe storms, flooding, landslides and mudslides in Floyd, Johnson, Knott, Magoffin, Martin, and Pike counties may apply for disaster assistance from the U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA). Contact SBA at 1-800-659-2955 or visit: www.sba.gov.
Annual coat drive
- HLT Check Exchange is currently conducting its annual coat drive. Please donate a new or used coat, scarf, gloves, or toboggan (knit cap). All sizes needed. Drive will take place Nov. 15 thru Jan. 15. HLT Check Exchange office is located in Mayo Plaza. Call 789-2274 for more information.
Cook books for sale
- The Kiwanis Cook Books are now on sale. With over 200 recipes, the books are $15 each or 2 for $25. The cook books may be purchased at Century 21 Real Estate; The Country Cottage; Johnson County Public Library; Randy’s Backstage Hair Productions; Walker Communications; and the Johnson
County Court Clerk’s office (Sallee Holbrook), or from any Kiwanis member.
Community Camera Club
- The Eastern Kentucky Camera Club meets the second Thursday of each month, at 6 p.m., at the Paintsville Recreation Center. The club extends an open invitation to anyone interested in learning about or sharing a passion of photography. For further information, email to: firstname.lastname@example.org; telephone to 606-324-9945; or visit www.ekycc.org
Foster Parent Orientation
- Benchmark Family Services will conduct foster parent orientation classes daily. Classes are free. Those interested may call 606-886-0163. Open your heart and home to a child in need!
- A community trip to Ireland is scheduled for June 2015. The 12-day excursion is open to all area community members. The trip will be hosted by Matt Smith, BSCTC sociology professor. See Dublin, the famed Bog Village and Belfast in Northern Ireland. For cost and other information, contact Smith at (859) 421-1603 or email to: email@example.com.
Medicare enrollment assistance
- The Big Sandy Area Development District (BSADD) can assist with Medicare Open Enrollment 2014. BSADD staff will be at the Paintsville Recreation Center on Tue., Nov. 25; and Wed., Dec. 3, from 10 a.m. to 12 p.m. Those needing assistance may also call 606-886-2374 or 1-800-737-2723, or stop in at the BSADD offices in Prestonsburg.
- A discussion of the book “The Road from Gap Creek” will be held on Thur., Nov. 20, from 12:10 to 12:50 p.m., at the Johnson County Public Library. Please bring own sack lunch and drink. To reserve a book or for more information, call 789-4355.
- Book Talk, “The Midwife of Hope River,” 6 p.m., Johnson County Library.
- Gospel Sing to be held Thur., Nov. 20, at 7 p.m., at the Meally Free Will Baptist Church. Buddy Liles, former bass singer for the Florida Boys will perform. Everyone invited. For more information, call 792-0353.
- The Kentucky Blood Center will host a blood drive on Sat., Nov. 22, from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m., at the Paintsville Walmart. To schedule a donation, or for more details, visit kybloodcenter.org or call 800-775-2522. Donors must have photo I.D., be at least 17 years old (16 with parental consent), weigh at least 110 pounds, and be in good general health. Look for the KBC Bloodmobile in the Walmart parking lot.
- Computer class, photos, 3 to 5 p.m.; Embroidered and Appliqued gift tags, 12-2 p.m., Johnson County Library.
- Family Fun Day, “Get Ready for Christmas,” 10 a.m. to 12 p.m., Johnson County Library. Please call 789-4355.
Dec. 2 & 3:
- Computer class, basics, 3-5 p.m., Johnson County Public Library.
- The East Kentucky Science Center and Planetarium will host a watch party of NASA’s Orion space flight on Thur., Dec. 4, at 8 a.m., on the Prestonsburg campus of BSCTC. For more information, call (606) 889-8260.
- 15th Annual Clyde Bowling “Christmas in the Highlands” to be held Sat., Dec. 6, from 7-10 p.m., at the U.S. 23 Country Music Highway Museum. Event will feature C.J. the D.J., Turning Ground, Coaltown Dixie, Melvin Goins and Windy Mountain, Highland Bluegrass Quartet and the Kevin Prater Band. Admission $10 or one new, unwrapped toy. Live auction, cake walk, Santa Claus and more.
Dec. 8, 9, 10, 11:
- Delightful Christmas crafts, 12 - 2 p.m.; 5:30 to 7:30 on the 11th., Johnson County Public Library. Call 789-4355 for more information.
- A Christmas community dinner will be held on Sat., Dec. 13, from 12-2 p.m., at the Oil Springs Volunteer Fire Department. Santa Claus will be there and each child in attendance will receive a free toy. The dinner is free to all those in the Oil Springs VFD service area. Toy, or other, donations are welcome. Please call 606-792-1555 for more information.
- Book Talk, “Spirit of Steamboat,” 6 p.m., Johnson County Public Library.
- Family Fun Day, “Year End Celebration,” to be held at Bouncing Off the Walls, located on Depot Street, 10 a.m. to 12 p.m.
Bank Mule Long Haul races test runners endurance
|Winners and participants in the Bank Mule 5K Long Haul Race. Those finishing as winners included Jason Castle, Greg Frazier, Larry Howell, Irene Gillenwater, Julia Garcia, and Shelby Castle.|
The Bank Mule Long Haul 5K and Half-Marathon races were held on Saturday, Nov. 8, in Van Lear. Participants began their races at the Van Lear Historical Society and Coal Miner’s Museum, embarking on a scenic course that traversed through Miller’s Creek, past Webb’s General Store and to the top of Beech Fork Mines before returning to the historical society building once again. Afterwards, trophies were awarded and participants were treated to a complimentary lunch and entertainment.
‘Happy Holidays’ — time to get in the Christmas spirit
Kicking off the holiday season locally, the annual “Holiday Happenings” Christmas bazaar was held Nov. 7-8 in the Ramada Inn courtyard. Hundreds gathered over the two day period to both buy and sell items ranging from handmade quilts, hair bows, miniature doll house furnishings, pottery, glassware, cookbooks and more. Special guests this year were “Elsa” from the popular Disney movie, “Frozen” (played by Lyndsey Childers), and the star of the season — Santa Claus. The event was sponsored by Johnson County Extension Homemakers, Paintsville Tourism and the Ramada Inn.
Paintsville Elementary Top 10 character pumpkin winners
Top ten winners of the pumpkin character contest. Pictured: Back row- left to right- Maddex Hansen, Haley Sorrell, Kal Auxier, Owen Trador, Avery Halm. Front row left to right- Danica Dials, Chloe Fannin, Jonathan Tackett, Austin Hensley. Not shown – Conner Thomas.