‘Changing hearts through healthcare’‘Winter-Tainment’ movie marathon enjoyed by both young and old
The first “Winter-Tainment” Christmas movie marathon was held Friday, Dec. 9, at the U.S. 23 Country Music Highway Museum. Visitors enjoyed hot chocolate, snacks, Christmas movies and visits from both Santa Claus and Santa Paws. The winner of a new Tablet will be announced on Dec. 19 — vote for your favorite on the Paintsville Adventures Tourism Facebook page.
Free holiday tours of Stafford House
- Plan to take a holiday open tour of the historic Stafford House. Decorated for the Christmas season in downtown Paintsville – free tours (in house shopping available), four days only!
Dec. 19 10 a.m.-6 p.m.
Dec. 20 11 a.m.-6 p.m.
Annual coat drive
- HLT Check Exchange is currently conducting its annual coat drive. Please donate a new or used coat, scarf, gloves, or toboggan (knit cap). All sizes needed. Drive will take place Nov. 15 thru Jan. 15. HLT Check Exchange office is located in Mayo Plaza. Call 789-2274 for more information.
Foster Parent Orientation
- Benchmark Family Services will conduct foster parent orientation classes daily. Classes are free. Those interested may call 606-886-0163. Open your heart and home to a child in need!
- The Johnson County Retired Teachers will hold a meeting on Wed., Dec. 17, at 11 a.m., at the Ramada Inn. Members are urged to attend to learn of a December state-wide project.
- Book Talk, “Spirit of Steamboat,” 6 p.m., Thur., Dec. 18, Johnson County Public Library.
- Winter Wonderland water color class, Thur., Dec. 18, 10 a.m. and again at 5 p.m., at the OSCAR Center. Call 789-8108 to pre-register or for more information.
- The Johnson County Health Department will have a board meeting on Thur., Dec. 18, at noon, at the health department. Meeting is open to the public.
- Big Sandy Singers Christmas Concert, to be held Thur., Dec. 18, at 7 p.m., in Gearheart Auditorium on BSCTC Prestonsburg campus. Tickets are $5 at the door. Proceeds will benefit the BSCTC fine arts department.
- Big Sandy Singers Christmas Concert, to be held Fri., Dec. 19, at 7 p.m., at the U.S. 23 Country Music Highway Museum. Tickets are $5 at the door. Proceeds will benefit the W.O.W./Johnson County Animal Shelter Project.
- “Christmas at the Mountain HomePlace” will take place on Sat., Dec. 20, from 4-7 p.m., at the Mountain HomePlace. Free carriage rides, live nativity, carolers from Southside Freewill Baptist and Highland Church of Christ. Free hot chocolate and pictures with Christmas characters. Come enjoy the fun and do some last-minute Christmas shopping in the Mountain HomePlace Gift Shop.
- A public meeting will be held at W.R. Castle Fire & Rescue, Station #1, on Mon., Dec. 22, at 7 p.m. The purpose of the meeting will be to elect a board member. The fire station is located on U.S. 23 North.
- Family Fun Day, “Year End Celebration,” to be held at Bouncing Off the Walls, located on Broadway/Depot Road, 10 a.m. to 12 p.m.
- The Johnson County Extension District Board will meet on Tues., Jan. 6, at 5 p.m., in the Johnson County Extension Office. Open meeting rules apply. Call 789-8108 for more information.
Annual Mistletoe and Magic tour of Homes
Todd and Lisa Meade opened their home for tours during the Mistletoe and Magic event that took place on Sunday, Nov. 30.
It’s beginning to look a lot like Christmas
Paintsville Main Street hosted its annual Christmas activities in downtown Paintsville on Saturday, Dec. 6. Despite the rain, people lined Main Street to enjoy kettle corn, a live nativity, the annual Christmas parade and many other activities. Characters such as Frosty the Snowman, Elf on the Shelf, the Grinch, and Santa Claus each made appearances during the event.
Photos by Patrick Ross/Staff
Library hosts monthly Family Fun Day
On Saturday, November 29, the Johnson County Public Library hosted their Family Fun Day. Children and their families were able to participate in a variety of holiday activities that included making Christmas ornaments and Christmas cards, among many other activities.